Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Dull-nedin

That was my first thought of the town. As soon as the bus passed the sign saying 'Dunedin city boundary' it started pissing it down. But firstly, Chch...

...was warm and shiny and generally lovely.
Watchmen was good. From what I've heard of the book's ending the movie's version is SO much better. A giant squid? Boring. I tell you what was not good though, Twilight. I went to see it last night, sat through maybe 15 minutes then gave up and snuck into He's Just Not That Into You instead. God that was an awful 15 minutes.

Saturday was very warm and sunny and shiny so I went to the beach and splodged in the sea, specifically in the sPacific, spacifically at Sumner. I actually got sunburn on my legs! I thought my legs were magically impervious to UV.

On Sunday I went on the tram a few times, mostly from Cathedral Square to my hostel because it stopped just outside and I were lazy. Well why waste a two-day ticket and walk? Also went up the gondola. Very awesome views of the plains, the city and Banks peninsula. Had lunch up there then walked down the path that settlers used to use back in the day to get from Christchurch to Lyttleton. Lyttleton was closed though so i didn't stay long. Had a mooch and a milkshake then got the bus back to the city where I rented a kayak and fulfilled my several-months-long dream of kakyaking. It may have been on the world's tamest river, but still! I kayaked! And got beached and failed to touch a duck's butt. Awesome.

And now here I am in Dundin. It's cold and wet and a bit like Bangor. Sniffing ecology textbooks in the Uni bookshop cheered me up though. And I handed over a LARGE amount of dollars to go on a wildlife cruise tomorrow. It's going to be very cold and rainy but I don't care! I'm going to see albatrosses, penguins and seals! Oh my!

Hope it's a lot more awesome than the antarctic centre, or as I call it, the International Disappointment Centre. Exactly.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Chch sounds lovely...and shiny. And awesome. To think your mum and I almost lived there instead of Rotorua. Although I've never been to Chch I still say you can't beat the Bay of Plenty for awesome beaches. I hope you get a chance to check that out too.
Thanks for the warning about Twilight. Sorry to learn that the antarctic centre was a disappointment, I hope the cruise turned out well. Steward Island sounds brill.