Thursday, 5 March 2009

Toodle oo Tekapo

Farewell shiny Tekapo, I shall miss thee. Especially Sam and Woody (extremely awesome Jack Russells).

I was in Tekapo 7 weeks and only one update here. Pourquoi, one might say if one was pretentious, comme moi. Well that would be because most days I was working more than 12 hours.
My days in shiny Tekapo consisted of waking up, working 5-7 hours cleaning rooms in a hotel that time forgot and retro rejected, food, more sleep, 4-10 hours waitressing in a pizza restaurant then more sleep. On my days off, more sleep. Occasionally I went walkabouts by the lake and up hills and once to Timaru (a lot like Newport) and Mt Cook.

Mt Cook was very shiny even though the clouds were ridiculously low so I couldn't see any of the mountains. They were just lurking there in the mists. Walked up to a lake full of bits of ice and small bergs at the end of a glacier, not that you could tell it was a glacier as it was very mucky. But then it is called the Hooker glacier so there you go.

But now I is in Christchurch, or as we locals say, Chch. Staying in a hostel opposite the museum and Hagley park. It's nice enough, but the showers are a looooong way from the bedrooms. Got there at 10ish last night. Couldn't sleep much but then I have gone from a ridiculously large and comfortable double bed with many pillows to a hard bunk bed with a pathetic sliver of what calls itself a pillow. But I ain't whinging.

Went mooching round the city today. Wandered down to the warehouse to buy some trousers that actually fit and aren't ridiculously falling apart and huge like my old ones. Then more mooching, went to the museum and geeked out in the bird hall and Antarctic room. Wandered round a bit of the park. Lots of very very loud crickets. Think I might hire a canoe from the boat sheds at some point and freak out the ducks. Then I went to the arts centre, which was a load of pretentiousness really. I ain't into art, I is into fish. Big fish. So I went to the aquarium and squeed over ENORMOUS fish, tuataras, a kiwi's bum (that's all I could see of it), seahorses and freakish eels. There's something just not quite right about eels. Those fish were pretty big, but not as big as Ichabod. And none swam upside down.

Tonight I'm hoping to see Watchmen but maybe something else if it's sold out. Tomorrow will be awesome as I'm going to the International Antarctic Centre!!! Very excited. Very, very sad.

No comments: