And got sunburn YES sunburn! on Christmas eve! Mostly from yesterday though. I went walkabouts somewhere incredibly shiny and forgot my camera. I didn't think I'd go wanders that far but I did. Numpty. I walked up Canavan's Knob. Don't laugh. Ooooo shiny it were. I could see the sea from the top! And actual proper seagulls! And keas! Have I mentioned how awesome the birds are here? Probably but I'll say it again. They're awesome. In the UK if you come a-moseying through the wood and happen upon a small passerine, it flies off shrieking and yelling and generally having an avian freak-out. Here, they come and have a closer look. I'd just stopped to admire the view and get my breath back when I saw a tomtit, don't laugh, on a branch a few metres away. It then proceeded to get closer and closer to me by flying from branch to branch, just in case I was a really big insect it could eat.
I don't care that there's Christmas movies on TV every day, or music in all the shops or tinsel on everything that sits still long enough, even tuis. It is not Christmas! One does not go round whinging about the excessive heat on Christmas eve. Or wear flip flops, unless one wants to lose one's toes to frost bite.
And just to rub it in further, this is what this afternoon by the river looked like:

Hopefully the bus that rides the information superhighway will be open tomorrow so I can post more show-off pictures of the heat and flip flops.
If not:
A Merry 25th of December to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment