Thursday, 27 November 2008

I always wanted to work with kiwis....

....and now I am, sort of. Cuddly ones, ones on keyrings, tea towels, t shirts and whatnot. Just finished my first day at the souvenir shop. Took two weeks but I finally have another job! Just as it starts to get sunny and isn't raining horizontally all day. Yargh.

Been in Franz two weeks now. The place is really nice, the house is ok and the work is duff.
Been walkabouts a few times, when it wasn't raining excessively. If someone from Wales thinks it's raining excessively, then it really is. They measure rainfall in metres here. But aye, went walkabouts in an actual rainforest. Not a tropical one but it was still awesome with enormous ferns and moss hanging off everything. Been to see the glacier too. It's quite grubby but still amezzin. Apart from that I've not been up to much really. Reading a lot because I couldn't go out in the afternoon. But it's getting nicer so when I'm not walking I can go walkabouts.

The birds are amazing here too. New Zealand can't just have ridiculously huge mountains, lakes and ferns, it has to have monstrous pigeons! They're like the size of a buzzard, almost! Definitely the size of our chickens, but able to fly. Not very gracefully though as many times I've nearly been brained by one whooshing out of a tree. Lots of tuis around as well, and I saw a New Zealand Pipit, which was ornithologically awesome.

So until something else comes up, I'm in Franz Josef till February-ish.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I remember the rain in Rotorua, so if it rains excessively in FJ, I can only imagine!
Your Dad sent me some printouts of photos you took in Rotorua. Oh the nostalgia! Darroch Street looks a lot more overgrown, the trees and shrubs are mature now. I recognised a few views/houses though. Steele's Lane not quite what I remembered except the school at the bottom of the road. There seems to be more wooden fencing now. Our house had a low brick wall, drive on the right facing the house.
I'm glad you found another job, good luck with that. Your Mater has filled me in with a few more details of your adventures too.