For today I did venture forth unto Rangitoto Island. I loves me some facts:
- formed 600 years ago
- summit is 260m above sea level
- 2311 hectares
- crater is 60m deep and 200m wide
- source is 125km below the earth's surface
- largest pohutukawa forest in the country
And is awesome, that too is a fact.
The leaflet said the walk to the summit takes 1hr but they didn't reckon with the awesome laziness of The Liz! Took me two. But then I did keep having to stop and look at birds (and to breathe). They're not exactly tame, the birds here, but they're a lot more 'engaging' than UK ones. They don't just leg it at the first sight of you.
I did finally get to the top and ee gads it was fantastic. Amazing views of the city and the islands in the gulf and all the forest. Would post pics but can't upload them yet. Might be able to tomorrow.
And now I'm off to have me tea and maybe go up the skytower. Depends how cloudy it is. It's actually been rainingtoday! I didn't come all the way to New Zealand for flipping rain! That wasn't in the brochure!
3 comments:
Get a hat! Geek!
Wow it sounds like you're having an amazing time! I've got a flat! And next week we're all off to see the Barrow Man for Children in Need at the Millennium Center.
Can't wait to read more of your adventures!
I'm so envious of you but so pleased for you too. Variable oystercatcher? what the heckythump. I'll have to google that one. I just know the common or garden type. Or common or seashore type, rather.
Post a Comment