Wednesday, 12 November 2008

Franz Josef!

...is, like just about everywhere in NZ, awesome. I'm getting a bit sick of saying awesome, fantastic, amazing all the time. Because everywhere is all those things! Sickeningly shiny the whole way. Except Hamilton. Ew.

Flew to Queenstown from Auckland. Didn't have a window seat but managed to nick other people's when they were in the loo. Awe-inspiring views of the Southern Alps and the plains. If it wasn't for the cloud I could have seen all of the south island from the pacific to the Tasman sea! Astonishing.
Queenstown's nice but don't think I could live there. Everyone's a bit too 'woohoo!' there, if you see. Bit like living in Penbryn. The hostel was nice but on the top of a fecking MASSIVE hill. Superlative views of the lake and the mountains though. Will definitely have to go back when I've got more dosh.

I thought an 8hr bus ride would be hellish, but then I only had UK bus rides as a frame of reference. On a NZ coach trip you hardly sit down for two hours! Set of at 8, stopped at 10 for a short while in Wanaka by the lake, then a cafe for half an hour, then by Thunder Creek falls, then a cliff over the tasman where we could see fur seals then a salmon farm cafe where I fed some huge fish. I came prepared with three magazines and two books but I didn't read a thing and hardly slept because I was too busy staring out the window going' wow!' and 'holy crap that's awesome!' at the magnificent views of mountains, ice-blue rivers, forests and whatnot. Sometimes outloud lol. And the whole way the driver did a commentary on things we were passing, local history, how the mountains were formed and whatnot. Formidable.

Got here at 4ish. The motel's nice, the house is...not so much. It's ok though, it'll do. And I met a cat! I travelled all the way to t'other side o't'planet to fuss a cat and watch Neighbours.
Going to mooch about the town now, both streets of it! I start at 09.30 tomorrow and I'm going to look for some work in the afternoon or evenings. And as soon as I can I'm going to mosey over to the glacier. Exalting.

Enough with the thesaurus. It's all awesome.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Now that's what I CALL a bus journey! I'm amazed at what you must be experiencing. Fantabulous. I've been reading up on the Franz Josef glacier and area. Awesome. *insanely envious*

Carol said...

Have to leave another one, to say thank you muchly for the cool 2009 calendar of Rotorua. And the DVD with it. Nice reminder and lots of nostalgia.